THE FALL 2021 CLASS IS FULL. Please check back for updates on the spring 2022 class.
The Generation Next curriculum targets new landowners, those who are inheriting land, or those who are looking to start a new agricultural operation on an existing ranch. It is taught as an online school where participants will work towards developing a business plan with plenty of support from professionals who specialize in different fields.
The course will require approximately 2 hours of your time (at any time!) per week, for 12 weeks. You only need access to a computer with internet capabilities.
Topics covered in the school include:
- How to start an agricultural business.
- Understanding business taxes.
- Insurance needs for your ranch.
- Tracking your finances.
- Evaluating your land resources.
- How to set up grazing and wildlife management leases.
- Basic ranch laws – fencing, water, etc.
- Land management techniques.
- Alternative operations to add to the business.
- Setting goals with measurable objectives for success.
In addition to business plan development, upon completion of the course you will receive a Generation Next Certificate and t-shirt.
The cost is $300 for the 12-week course.
If you have any questions, contact Dr. Megan Clayton at Megan.Clayton@ag.tamu.edu or 361-265-9203.