The next class will be held in 2021 (January 25 – April 18). If you’re interested in this class, please email Dr. Megan Clayton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Generation Next curriculum targets new landowners, those who are inheriting land, or those who are looking to start a new agricultural operation on an existing ranch. It is taught as an online school where participants will work towards developing a business plan with plenty of support from professionals who specialize in different fields.
The course will require approximately 2 hours of your time (at any time!) per week, for 12 weeks. You only need access to a computer with internet capabilities.
Topics covered in the school include:
- How to start an agricultural business.
- Understanding business taxes.
- Insurance needs for your ranch.
- Tracking your finances.
- Evaluating your land resources.
- How to set up grazing and wildlife management leases.
- Basic ranch laws – fencing, water, etc.
- Land management techniques.
- Alternative operations to add to the business.
- Setting goals with measurable objectives for success.
In addition to business plan development, upon completion of the course you will receive a Generation Next Certificate and t-shirt.
The cost is $250 for the 12-week course.
If you’d like to be put on the wait list, contact Dr. Megan Clayton at Megan.Clayton@ag.tamu.edu or 361-265-9203.