The Generation Next curriculum targets new landowners, those who are inheriting land, or those who are looking to start a new agricultural operation on an existing ranch. It is taught as an online school where participants will work towards developing a business plan with plenty of support from professionals who specialize in different fields.
The course will require approximately 1.5 hours of your time (at any time!) per week, for 12 weeks. You only need access to a computer with internet capabilities.
Topics covered in the school include:
- How to start an agricultural business.
- Understanding business taxes.
- Insurance needs for your ranch.
- Tracking your finances.
- Evaluating your land resources.
- How to set up grazing and wildlife management leases.
- Basic ranch laws – fencing, water, etc.
- Land management techniques.
- Alternative operations to add to the business.
- Setting goals with measurable objectives for success.
In addition to business plan development, upon completion of the course you will receive a Generation Next Certificate and t-shirt.
Registration for the 2020 course is not yet open! To be notified when registration is open, add your name to the email announcement list by simply emailing Megan.Clayton@ag.tamu.edu.
The cost is $250 for the 12-week course.
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Megan Clayton at Megan.Clayton@ag.tamu.edu or 361-265-9203.